Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Monday, June 27, 2011

Preparing for Ecuador

July is fast approaching.....

I am preparing my heart for a missions trip to Ecuador with Visiting Orphans.

I have never traveled to South America before.  I have traveled Europe many years ago and lived in France for a time, but never been on a missions trip.

I've always thought about going on one.  I just didn't know when God would ask me to go.

This is my year.  Despite my fears of leaving my folks who are in a retirement community, I was given the green light to "go" by everyone there in charge of my parents' care on a day to day basis.  I knew when that peace came, that sweet peace that whispers, "Yes, you are doing the right thing." that this is what the Lord wanted me to do.

These are 2 photos taken by my sister in law.  I give her all the credit for the photos.  She has been to Quito on missions many times over the past decade.  They would wash feet and give new shoes and socks to folks that needed them.  This photo speaks to me.

Shoes  Something so simple as shoes.  Everyone needs them, but not everyone has them.
Photo by Joanne Ghoens

What are the stories behind these shoes?  Where have they walked?  What have they experienced?

I don't pretend to know.  Just as I don't pretend to know how the orphans of Quito feel day to day knowing they don't have parents there to support them.

It feels good to have something new.

Photo by Joanne Ghoens  Ecuadorian children sporting their new shoes.
I pray as I prepare my heart and our team prepares their hearts for our trip, that we too can show these children the love of Christ while we are there.  Sometimes they might see it in something as simple as a new pair of shoes. Sometimes it is in other ways.  Lord, no matter what, just let me show them your love.

19 days to go.....

2 comments:

Faith K said...

Judith,
I'll continue to uphold you in prayer as your prepare, travel, and experience life in Ecuador. Your trip has been brought to my mind several times over the past few weeks, causing me to pray that the Lord will bless you as you bless others.

Judith said...

Thank you Faith for your continued prayers. I'm going to try to blog while I'm there. It all depends on circumstances and what the Lord has us do and the free time I have. We leave on July 16 and will be back July 24.