Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Monday, October 10, 2011

Wedding Day

It was the most beautiful October day in 1992.  Temperatures in the 70's, a gentle breeze in the air, lots of sunshine, hardly a cloud in the sky.  It was gorgeous in Myers Park.  It was Mike's and my wedding day.

I wore Mom's dress.  She made it for her wedding in 1953.  She had been storing it in her cedar chest all of these years.  She let me peek at it growing up from time to time.  Whenever she opened the chest, which was rare, a strong aroma of cedar would fill my nose and I would  marvel at what was tucked inside.  Baby items of my brother and I, some things from when she and Dad lived in Hawaii, little antique plastic cars, and then there was "the dress".

It was made of heavy peau de soie, ivory satin, with long lace sleeves, and lace over the bodice, draping down past the waist with tiny, hand sewn pearls throughout. It had a long train on it and required someone to help you when you turned around.   It was a beautiful gown.  And Mom looked more beautiful in it.....

She was so talented with a needle and thread.  I still do not know to this day how she managed to just see a similar dress in the Montaldo's department store window, and copy it herself without a formal pattern.  She must have made up the pattern as she went along.  It was a stunning piece of art to me.
When I became engaged, Mom got the gown out of the cedar chest and asked me if I'd like to wear it for my wedding.  Would I like to try it on?  "Would I like to try it on??  Of course I would!"  That was something I'd dreamed about as a little girl.  More than that, asking me if I'd like to wear it for my own wedding..... that was so special.

So I tried it on and it was not the perfect fit.  Mom had an 18 inch waist when she was 23 and she and I are very similar in size and stature, but I do not have her tiny waist.

Dad's smile and giggle was quite memorable the night  I tried the dress on and was looking at myself in the full length mirror in my room.  After I had the dress on, I asked him, "What do you think?"  Then the smile and giggle ensued and  I knew this was THE dress for my wedding.

This decision meant a lot of hours for my mom in a "labor of love" she said, in order to alter the dress so I could actually wear it.  She had to expand the bodice and waist and she sewed new pearls on where the old ones had turned to brownish tan.  She spent hours and hours on renovating the dress for me.  Many late nights I'd hear the humming of her sewing machine, or find her hand sewing parts of it.

All of those hand sewn pearls..... like little fingerprints of her love being held in each one.  I think she wanted me to wear the dress as much as I did.  I'm so glad that was the case.

The finished product was beautiful.  It was an honor to wear her dress.
Photo by Raymond Hahn
And walking down the aisle in this dress, with my daddy was something I won't forget.  We chatted a bit as we were walking.  We were both a bit nervous.  He asked me, "Is this a good pace?"  He didn't want to walk too fast.  He was always thinking of me and not himself.  I looked at him and replied, "I think this is just right."  Many people asked us what we were saying as we walked down the aisle together.  They thought Dad might have been sharing last bits of fatherly wisdom with his daughter, or perhaps a sweet sentiment.  He had already done all of those things prior to that day.  Today he just wanted to make sure it was perfect for me. This is the tune we walked to.....Trumpet Tune by Henry Purcell
Photo by Raymond Hahn
 And it was perfect in every way.....  There was a sparkle in Michael's eyes that day up by the altar that I will remember always.  I've never seen lights dance in someone's eyes and shine like they did that day he professed his vows to me.  It was magical! 

I was marrying my best friend since we were 20.  Here we were 25 years old.  We had been engaged for two years so I could finish my grad school classes first.  The time had finally come.  I was marrying my best friend for good.
And everything was beautiful that day..... having my family there to celebrate with me and dear friends.

The minister who married us was the senior minister at Myers Park Methodist Church in the 1960's.  Mom was his secretary.  He baptized me in this very sanctuary and now he was a part of our marriage ceremony.  My favorite words he said to us that day were when he addressed us "my dear children" and gave us his blessing.  I did call him "Uncle Clay" because he was such a close family friend.  Another honor to have him there with us that day.

At the end of the ceremony I must add this, I had to turn around with that long satin train and then walk down some steps.  My best girlfriend and maid of honor helped me with that task.  I was so afraid I was going to trip going down those steps that I almost forgot to kiss my sweet Michael!  We both made it down the steps with no falls to the sound of the pipe organ playing Handel's "Water Music".  Walter the organist at Myers Park was the BEST.  Another dear family friend that had known me since a baby.
Listen to the Handel piece here.

And here we are 19 years later.... I wouldn't trade any of these years for the world.  The Lord has blessed us so much through some very good and hard times.  I would marry Michael all over again in half a heart beat.  He is still my very best friend after all of these years.  I love him with all of my heart.
I can't wait for what God has in store for us..... as long as He's by our side I know we will continue to thrive in love, joy and peace.  Growing old with my best friend is one of God's most precious gifts to me.
Ending today's post and happy memories of one of my very favorite days with my mom's favorite hymn and one of mine as well.....  Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring by Johann Sebastian Bach

Be blessed!
Judith

1 comment:

Frances said...

Happy Anniversary, belatedly! What a wonderful post; my favorite part: "I can't wait for what God has in store for us..... as long as He's by our side I know we will continue to thrive in love, joy and peace." Amen!