I wrote about that day last year on this blog. It tells the story of my wedding dress, how Mom made it for herself in 1953 for her wedding day with Dad and just everything about Michael's and my special day in 1992. It's a great story.
Read the special blog post here: Wedding Day
We've been having true fall like weather the past few days. I have also had a terrible cold for the past 8 days, but this morning after sleeping in a bit I woke up to sunshine and I felt better than I have in a week! What a blessing! We are headed to the NC mountains to celebrate our anniversary soon to see the autumn color. It's something we've wanted to do for years and are finally taking the time to do.
The entire week I've been sick I have had continued thoughts of Dad. I want to go see him, but I can't because I don't want to pass along any germs. I had not seen him regularly for the past month due to the condo selling and cleaning out, and the closing of the place at the end of September. Then I come down with a cold the weekend I finally have time to see him. So I knew when I didn't feel heavy cold symptoms today, I had to go see him!
It's my anniversary. Daddy walked me down the aisle that day. I just wanted to share that day with him some how again. I knew Mike and I were going out to eat with the boys later tonight and I knew he and I would have our time this weekend. I wanted to see Dad.
So the boys and I went out to the retirement community after school and we walked in Dad's room. He was resting in the bed. He propped himself up when we came in. He was very happy to see us. He always loves to see the boys. He calls Joseph, "Son" and Philip, "Little Man". He's done that for years. Even if he doesn't say their names anymore or remember their names, he knows they are his grandsons.
When he got situated and sat up, I told him today was Mike's and my wedding anniversary. Yes, I had to tell him who my husband was. When I showed him a picture he remembered. We are having to give him reminders of people now, which trigger his memory. He told me our picture is on his bureau and he sees it every day. That made me feel good. I like to know he looks at our pictures.
When I told him that he walked me down the aisle 20 years ago, he started smiling and laughing this laugh like he couldn't believe it, but was so happy to be told this. A tear came out of his right eye. I gave him a big hug. Then I sat down on his bed next to him and we went through "his and Mom's" wedding album of my wedding. I showed him all the pictures. Pictures even of Mom and I and he and Mom and Mike and I together. Just everything. He just couldn't get over the pictures. Walking down memory lane with my daddy, I just needed that today, because I'll never forget the day he walked me his little girl down to the front of that enormous sanctuary and gave me away to Michael. Such a special day!
Joseph showed Dad his Lego figures. He put them in some of Dad's model cars, in the Ford with the rumble seat and in the passenger seat with the little glass dog driving. We all chuckled.
Dad put together this model car decades ago and painted it gold and beige for GA Tech, where my brother went to college for a year.
We always try to find things Dad is interested in.... and just "play". He loves watching the boys play probably because he's had such a playful spirit his entire life.
We talked for a bit longer. I gave him some assistance in the bathroom and then we sat down and I asked Joseph to take a few photos of Dad and I. Dad did mention Mom today, but it was about the photo album, not about where she was or anything like that. I had not heard him say the word "Mom" since the day she died. It was nice to hear him say "Mom" again. I still think he remembers her. Mike believes that he has stuffed some of what has happened down deep inside himself, plus his disease does not allow his short term memory to hang onto the fact that Mom died recently. I think he knows she's died, but since he has no concept of time at all whatsoever, that he thinks it happened a long time ago. So he's not sad about it all the time. If he thought it had happened recently we'd ALL know about it. He would be grieving.
So I leave you with these photos.... Daddy and I, 20 years after he walked me down the aisle. I miss sharing this day with Mom too. We would have gone over to see her today as well, probably would have brought her over to see Dad or visa versa on a good day. Today's weather was perfect for just such a visit.
Afterward, dinner was good too! We went to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants with the boys. All of these men, big and little in my life....wow! Lord, I would have never imagined I'd be surrounded by so many males to love on me. I am. Thank you Lord. Makes me miss my time with my Moma a bit more, but so grateful for all of the love that surrounds me daily.
Michael and I can't wait to celebrate this weekend in the mountains and I'll be sure to post some beautiful fall pictures from the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
Be blessed!
Judith

No comments:
Post a Comment