Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Scrabble and Putt Putt

What a beautiful day!
Sunny, 83 degrees and it's March 1st!
You can't beat that for a Carolina Day!

We spent our afternoon with Grandmom and Granddad.
Scrabble with Grandmom.
Putt Putt with Granddad.

Philip had a new stuffed animal spider to share.  Timmy.  Now Jimmy Spider has a twin brother.  Ha! Ha!  How nice for Grandmama to love PJ and his spiders too.  She wanted to hear all about his stuffed animals.
Philip is so much like I was with my stuffed animals when I was his age.  I didn't have spiders, but I did have my favorites.
Mom was napping when we got there.  The boys always love to wake her up and surprise her.  
We brought her some sunflowers from Harris Teeter.  We had been enjoying them for a few days and I thought she and her friend, Mary would enjoy them for a few more days.  Sunflowers last such a long time.
 Do you know what my mom told me though?  She said I should take one back to my house, so I could enjoy one too, even though she knew I'd had them at my house.  My moma is always thinking about me and wanting to share.  

Mary loved the flowers too.  She is precious.  We try to spend a little time with her too when we go see Mom.  I asked her if we could take a picture with her today.  She said, "Oh, I would love that!  It would be an honor."  I told her I'd print a copy for her and bring it to her next time we came.  She sees the boys pictures all the time and she kept saying, "You boys look just like your pictures!"  
 So we left a sunflower in the vase for Mom and one for Mary and I decided to take the other one to Dad.  When I told him about it, he said, "But now you don't have one!"  My parents think so much a like.  I want to give them everything and they simply won't let me.  They always want to give back or to share.  I told Dad I could always get more sunflowers.  I wanted him to keep this one, so he could enjoy it.  He really liked that.

SCRABBLE Junior
What a fun game!  Joseph was great at explaining directions and giving pointers.  We played this junior version so Philip could join in too. The words are already made, you just have to match the letters with the words on the board.  Next time we'll try the original way to play Scrabble and see how we do.  Scrabble is one game I always remember Mom and I playing and enjoying when I was growing up.  She was always great at it!

 Joseph and Philip tied the game with seven completed words each and Mom and I tied for second with six words each!  

As usual, we hated saying goodbye.  Our time must be divided between Mom and Dad in different buildings.  Keep praying that God will work out this detail for them to be back together!  They do see each other, but it is not the same as living in the same space.  It is totally out of my hands.  I can't control the moving in and out of residents in this building.  A double room will have to come available for this to happen.  Thanks for your prayers!

Putt Putt with Granddad 
Dad has this neat little metal cup for practicing putting, a putter, and a few golf balls in his room.  He's always loved putting, but never really was serious about golf too much.  He used to enjoy putting with us last year.  This is a little photo story of one of his putting lessons with the boys.  Now Dad just likes watching us.  I wish he still wanted to putt, but if we can still bring him joy by us playing, then we will keep playing.  We all seem to like this game.

I made more eagles today than I usually do!  
I reminded Dad, "You know who taught me how to putt?!"  
Joseph said, "Him!" (meaning Granddad of course)  
I pointed at Dad,  "You!"
Dad said, "Ohhh I don't know about that!"  
It's true.  He did.  
He taught Joseph how to putt also.
 
Seven year old Philip is getting better and better at taking photos! He has really gotten into the camera and taking pictures the past few weeks!  Gee, I wonder where he gets that from?? 
 We did a little bit of house cleaning and some secretarial things for Dad, plugged in his cell phone, which was dead and then had to head out.  It was dinner time for the residents and I had to get home to make dinner myself.  As usual, gentleman that he is, Dad walked us to the elevator.  When he first moved to the retirement community, he walked me to my car.  Then after his fall, he walked me to the big porch at the front doors of assisted living.  When he moved to his current building he now walks us to the elevator.  Always wanting to make sure we get to where we are going safely.  It is ingrained in him to see us off.  As long as he can walk, I don't think that will change.  So we give hugs and kisses and wave from the elevator these days. 

Good times.... more memories.  Looking forward to next time.

No comments: