Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Good Day For Saying Farewell

Sometimes something you never thought was ever possible again becomes possible because your father is having a good day with his illness.  Today was a good day for Dad.  He had not been on the roof for a very long time.  It was the first day of fall and beautiful in the Carolinas.  We'd just had some ice cream at Ben and Jerry's two blocks away.  The weather was perfect for a ride up the elevator to see the city skyline.

Mom and Dad's place is selling next week.  It's been a long 18 month road to closing for us.  A chapter is ending.  We are all ready to move on.  Mom and Dad moved on over two years ago.  It's just taken a long time for the "Tree House" to sell.  Mom always called their condo the "Tree House" with affection, due to the enormous 100+ year old Willow Oak in the front of the condominium building. 

They loved their home.  They never would have moved from it if it hadn't been for Mom's medical situation and her needing the extra care in her daily life of having Type 1 diabetes.  Moving to the retirement community gave us two and a half extra happy, healthy years with Mom because she was able to receive the consistent medical support she truly needed.

One of Dad's favorite places at the Tree House was the roof of the building.  He'd go up there and just sit on the beautiful decking in a lounge chair, 14 stories high above the tree tops.  He always loved to sit in the sun and relax.  He LOVED the roof.  

I had the thought the other day about why he might like places where all he could see above him was just sky.  Perhaps it was because it made him think of being on the fleet oiler in the Pacific when he was in the US Navy in the 1950's with no obstructions of the sky for as far as he could see.  There is something to be said about being high up in the air with only the clouds above you.  
A photo sent to his bride to be (Mom) in 1951
Every time Mom and Dad had guests in their home, Dad would insist on taking them to the roof.  
"Before you leave, you have to let me show you the view from the roof!" he'd say.  
Anyone that saw the roof was glad they did!  I have found myself doing the same thing the past year and a half.  I have taken people up there as well because there is nothing like it and I've told them the story of Dad.

I've seen fireworks....  
Sunsets....

This is my new favorite sunset picture up there just this week.  Tom is trying out his new panoramic option on his iPhone.  
I've been windblown by icy cold winds in February and calmed by warm summer breezes up there.  I have meditated, prayed, been thankful and reminisced sometimes all at the same time on this roof.  

There is no place like it.  It is unique and special.  It is also in the middle of our family's history.  Mom and Dad's church is right across the street from the Tree House.  Mom's final resting place is also right across the street at the columbarium of that very same church.
I love this area of the city.  I love the huge trees and the feel of the neighborhood.  It is full of happy memories.  
We are saying goodbye this week.  I can still drive through this part of town and continue to enjoy it that way.  I could go to the church, take a walk, go to a restaurant or bring Dad to our favorite ice cream shoppe.  It is just not an area of town I live close to or frequent on a day to day basis.  So it was special that Dad was having a good enough day to go up on the roof one more time.  
He did not remember ever being up there before nor the joy that it used to bring him.  However, he really enjoyed the view today, like he'd seen it for the first time.  It took Tom and I both to accompany him safely due to some steps going out onto the decking.  He did a great job though and with both of us there, he felt safe.  

I'm sure I will head to the roof a couple more times to say goodbye this week and relish in fond family memories..... 

.....and one of Mom and Dad's friends and neighbors has already told me if I ever want to come back to the roof, all I have to do is call her and we are welcome.  It's nice to have good friends.

No comments: