Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Fingerprints of Love from My Grandmother

If there is one time of year when I think of my Grandmother the most, it is the Christmas season.
Christmas 1993
Christmas has always been my favorite time of year because of the happy memories I started out with as a child which continued each and every year.  I enjoyed the traditions we had, but most of all I enjoyed the time we spent with our family.
Tom and Grandmama 1993

Every Christmas morning my dad would call his mother in law, and wish her a Merry Christmas.  It was just something he did.
"Merry Christmas Mom Jerman!"  I loved watching him on the phone.  He'd call to find out what time he could come pick her up and bring her to our house for Christmas day.  She only lived about 3 miles away.  Sometimes I got to go with him, which was always neat.  

My grandmother had a special way of making the holidays meaningful.  Besides just her presence, laughter, and smiles, she made things by hand for us.  They were all over her apartment and she gave many to us and also would sell items at her church during their craft bazaars.  She was so talented with a needle and thread.  She could take just common things and make beautiful things out of them.  

I have santas, snowflakes, Christmas ornaments and more all hand made with love.  They are all over my tree.




I love putting out her snowflakes under the mantle and leaving them through January after I take the Christmas decorations down.
I plan on doing that this year too and leaving my white lights up the month of January.

Today 19 years ago Grandmama went to be with her Lord.  Two days after Christmas.... I think that is why I was a bit sad today out of the blue.  It then dawned on me, "Oh yes, today is December 27th..."  My mom didn't get to see her mother on her last Christmas celebration.  Mom was sick with a bad cold and didn't want to bring any germs to the nursing home or to Grandmama.  So we all went to celebrate with Grandmama....Dad, Tom, Willie Mae, Bob, Jenny, Barbara and Chase.  We had a room full!  It was wonderful!  We were missing Mom though. 

This Christmas season, Grandmama has her little girl again by her side!  



Their first Christmas together in 19 years and they get to spend it in the Lord's presence!  I just have this feeling they are singing.... As much as my mom LOVED to sing and as long as she was in the choir, she must be singing with her mother!

This year I went through Mom's Christmas decorations in boxes.  She had so many of Grandmama's snowflakes.  She also had this one ornament.....
"Ethel.... Love, Mother"  
So precious.  I had to put it on our tree this year.  I will continue to do so. 
Grandmama had taken a Christmas card, cut it out in the shape of a circle, punched holes in it perfectly, and crocheted red thread around the edges.  What a pretty idea!

I actually have one too.... I leave it out all year.  It is on the old fashioned key which goes to her wardrobe closet which is in our bedroom.  
She wrote a note to me too....

Oh the Christmases we had together all of us!  Lunch at our house, Mom usually made turkey and lots of sides.  I'd help her set the table with the fine china.  She let me put the side dishes on the table too and put the pretty napkins out.  After lunch we enjoyed just catching up and relaxing a bit, listening to Christmas music Dad always had going.  Late in the afternoon  we would head off to my Aunt Jenny's house across town to spend time with her and her family.  Going to Jenny's house was always one of my very favorite things to do!  Spending time with my aunts, uncles and cousin Barbara was so special.  

I will always remember Aunt Jenny's blue kitchen and all of the wonderful smells that came from it those Christmas nights.  Willie Mae's macaroni and cheese and lemon pound cake!  Yum!  Everything my aunts and mom made was so delicious! I loved seeing Jenny's house all decorated.  She had a big house.  It was a fun place to explore as a child!  Ha ha ha!  My boys are the same way today!

I loved seeing Grandmama love on everyone.  I loved the tight squeeze hug my Uncle Bob always gave me.  I miss those.  No one hugged like he did.  Three sisters smiling and laughing all together....  I liked them being all together.  
  
I loved it all.  
I think what made it so special each year was how loved everyone made me feel.  How gracious and loving everyone was toward one another too.  There was always such kindness in my Mom's family.

Celebrating Jesus' birthday with us all together. It was to me the BEST day of the year!

Later that evening we took Grandmama home.  Sometimes I went inside the apartment too.  I liked her Christmas tree.  It was so different than ours.  Always a Cedar tree cut down fresh out in the country by her neighbor Wilma's son.  He brought one to his mom and to Grandmama too.   He set it up for her.  It was never a tall tree.  Usually about 5 feet.  She had the big, glass, old fashioned Christmas lights on it.  As a child I could stare at it for hours.  I loved her little tree.  Her apartment was always so warm and inviting at Christmastime.

Then we would give hugs and kisses and head home.  Sigh.... that was the sad part.  I never wanted Christmas to end.

To remember her today, I'm posting a little picture of Tom's first Christmas.  Grandmama is holding him and she is smiling!  I'm not sure where this was taken, but it must be her apartment.  There is a Cedar tree, just like the ones she used to have.  

I can't help but think if she loved us grandkids so much how much she would love her great grands....Joseph and Philip.  I think she might just love them to the moon and back!

I love her to the moon and back too.  

Today she would be 104.   So thankful to have had her in my life for those 27 years.  

Merry Christmas Mom and Grandmama.  
I'm so glad that even if I can't see you right now, that you are together.   
Mom and I in 2010

No comments: