Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Our First Signs of Spring 2013

February in the Carolinas is never predictable.  I've lived here all my life and one thing that has never changed is our winters.  One day spring like, the next day wintery.

Spring daffodils, hyacinths and fruit trees are often confused by our ever changing temperatures and it is not unique to see daffodils or the purple blossoms of the Red Bud tree in late February.

My little meteorologist, Philip, (age 8) is wishing for snow.  His favorite hobby is tracking the weather on the radar of one of our local tv station's websites, or on weather. com.  He is all about storms and these past few weeks, snow!  How he longs for snow!  Just an inch would make him happy at this point.  I keep telling him it's still possible for us to get some snow where we live.  Some of our biggest snows here have been in February and March.

Yet, out in our front yard, mother nature has arrived..... a bit earlier than expected.  It's hard to convince an 8 year old that we may still get snow if spring is making itself known already. 

I would love some snow!  Just one good snow for us would be 3-5 inches.  Then it would melt in the next 2 days and be gone.  Our cousins up north in Massachusetts just got a foot or more of snow!  Even though a bit of snow would be nice.  I can't help but smile when I see these flowers return each year.... even THREE weeks earlier than normal!  They have seen freezing temperatures and snow before when in bloom.  

Here are some glimpses of springtime already arriving in our yard.

Daffodils
Old Fashioned Roman Hyacinths
Some of my favorite flowers are already here....  
....and I'm waiting for a little snow this month if it ever comes!  

Snow and flowers..... I like them both, but I have to admit I will always love flowers more!  

No comments: