Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Through the Doorway

Through the doorway of another year of home schooling.  What awaits us this year?
What will we learn?  What will we appreciate?  What will captivate our minds?  What will touch our hearts?  What will make us laugh until our bellies hurt?  What will we discover? What will disappoint us?  How will we react to difficulties and achievements?  Who will we serve in love?  Who will we reach out to?  How will our faith grow?  What will the Lord teach us this year?

All of these questions run through my mind and many more as we all step through this doorway of a new school year.   There is much to consider.  There is a lot to prepare.  My heart is full when I think of each of our sons.  I must prepare my heart as wife, mother, and teacher.  I must also prepare my heart before the Lord.  This is ultimately his school and his children to whom he has entrusted us.  It's a big responsibility.  I know I could not even begin to attempt this without his guidance and grace.

Deep breath.....


Each son steps through the doorway of learning with their own expectations, some excitement, perhaps some dread (as is normal when having to get back on a schedule), some goals, and many thoughts.  Yes, they also step through with a stuffed animal or Lego or two.  Such are our sons at the moment....   
Every year I ask them if they want to continue the journey.  I was given a hearty "yes" from both this month.  I say "yes" I want to keep going as well.  I love our journey.  I love our home school.  I love the boys.  My husband and I need to help them prepare their hearts as well for what is to come.  I want them to realize God has a plan for them.  They are special with their own talents and abilities.  I also want them to understand in time that life is not about "them".  It's about Him and loving and serving Him where ever and however they are called, with hearts full of humility and grace.  When they take this yearly step with me and their dad I see they are growing up.  Yes, growing much faster than I'd like for them to.  
The years are flying by....
"Lord, help me not miss a moment.  Help us make moments to remember.  Help us learn and grow as individuals.  Help these little boys grow up to be who you made them to be.  Thank you for letting me be a part of that."
They do not step through the doorway alone.  No, never alone.  Christ is our guide, our God, our protector, our wisdom, our light to guide our way.  I want to stay on His path for our school.  If he has equipped us personally as parents to do this, he will always show us the way.  He'll divulge learning styles, strengths and weakness of each son.  He'll help me with teaching academics and with my parenting skills.  I pray he'll show us what our focus should be and what to leave behind.   I pray he gives us patience in communicating and serving each other.   
He must be at the center for it all to work.   My prayer is that he will be the center this year.  I know I need his strength and wisdom in such an endeavor.


I am walking through this doorway too.  Even if one son may be looking back to make sure I'm right behind him.  
I am.  We're all going together. 

A second grader and fifth grader.... oh my..... 

 

No comments: