Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Friday, September 2, 2011

Toad and Frog

Toad...
...and Frog.
Two creatures we seem to have come upon this summer in our backyard, others' backyards and yes, even at the pool.  

One of those living creature finds that are so neat to observe for the moment.  We have found so many Fowlers Toads this summer.  Yet we only found this one Bullfrog.  When I asked which ones the boys liked best, they said, "BOTH".  The oldest said he never sees too many frogs, so finding one was kind of special.

What also makes these little creatures special, is that they have brought two story book characters to life.  Frog and Toad created by Arnold Lobel.  My youngest is reading all of the Frog and Toad books right now.  He loves them!  

I love them too.  There is so much we can learn from Frog and Toad.  If more of us had friendships like these two, the world I think would be a better place to live.

The lessons of "Frog and Toad":

True friends are hard to come by, so treat yours well.
Spending quality time with someone you love can make all the difference.
Life is a gift, make each moment count.
Do acts of kindness in secret.
A friend loves at all times, even when he is grumpy.
Sacrifice is worth it.
A good friend listens and hears you.
It's ok to laugh at yourself.
Being thoughtful can make someone's day.
Being optimistic can be contagious.
Have faith.
Tell people you care about how you feel about them.
 
There are so many other little and BIG lessons to be learned in between the pages of these simple books.  I find myself laughing at all of their antics and feeling my heart warmed by their friendship.  



I like Frog and Toad.
So do my boys.....
 

My Personal Narration of "The Letter" 
By Arnold Lobel

Toad was on his front porch looking sad.  Frog came by and asked him what was the matter. Toad replied it was the "sad" time of day because this was the time the mail arrived at his house.  He never receives any mail.  Sigh.... so depressing.

Frog the true optimist replies, "Never?"  
"No, never." Toad says, "I have never received a letter before."

They both sit on the front porch at Toad's house in silence, both feeling kind of sad.
Frog jumps up and excuses himself and says there is something he must do. 

He leaves his friend, Toad,  moping on his front porch.  Frog returns home and writes a letter to Toad.  He wants to bring a little bit of  joy to his friend.  He puts it into a proper envelope and entrusts it to "Snail" to be hand delivered to Toad's mailbox.  
(You can imagine this might take awhile with "snail mail".)
Frog then returns to Toad's house.  Toad is in bed asleep when Frog arrives.

"Wake up Toad!", Frog cries.  "It's time to go back outside and wait some more for the mail to come!  You never know who might send you a letter!"  

Pessimistic Toad replies full of doubt,  that he's never going to get any mail.  He's tired of waiting for what will not come.  Frog begins to look out the window in expectation.  He knows what is coming.  Toad does not.  Frog does not see "Snail" coming with his letter yet, but he is completely optimistic and has faith the letter IS coming.

Toad asks Frog, "Frog, why are you looking out the window like that?"  
Frog replies,  "I'm waiting for the mail to come."  
Toad says, "But there won't be any...."  (I love how they  banter back and forth with each other.)  
"Oh yes there will!" Frog proclaims.
Frog then reveals what he has done.  "I have written you a letter!"  
"You have?  What did you write?" asks Toad.

"Dear Toad, I am glad you are my best friend. "
Your best friend,
Frog
(Then my favorite line of the story.)
"Oh, that makes for a very good letter," says Toad.

Yes it does....
They sit happily on Toad's front porch, enjoying the moment.  Toad is happy with anticipation that he will receive a letter from Frog and  content Frog considers him his best friend.   Frog is simply happy that he wrote the letter.  And happier still I'd imagine, to just be sitting with his best buddy on that front porch, waiting in expectation for the look on Toad's face when the letter arrives.  It brings Frog joy to see his friend smiling again. 
Four days later "Snail" arrived with Frog's letter.  "Toad was very pleased to have it."

THE END 

Thank you Lord for teaching us truths in the pages of story books.  For letting us find little joys come to life from those pages as well. 

It makes for a memorable story and we remember the truths taught even more.
And remember to treat your friends special!
 

Here's to you, Jumper!
and you too, Swimmer!


Our little Toad and Frog....

No comments: