Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

If the Trees Could Speak

 Battery Park

Charleston, South Carolina's Battery Park, is at the the point of the city which faces Charleston Harbor and where the Ashley and Cooper Rivers come together.  It became a public park in 1837.  You can see Fort Sumter and Castle Pinckney out in the distance as well as Sullivan's Island.  It is another of our favorite spots in Charleston.  We love to walk the high Battery and look at the water.

What is it about being on the water?  I don't know, but all of us seem to enjoy it, especially my husband and I.

Along the water Bay street is lined with Antebellum homes that have withstood the test of time and most recently Hurricane Hugo in 1989.

The park is also referred to as "White Point Gardens" named for the bleached sea oyster shells that were piled there.  Fort Broughton during the Revolutionary War period, and Fort Wilkins during the War of 1812 made their homes at this spot.  You can still see the oyster shells to this day in the pathways of the park.  What a piece of history to tread on!


The canons were placed at the Battery in response to the War of 1812 to defend Charleston Harbor.  Our sons love to climb on them and have their pictures taken.

What I love so much about this park is its uniqueness.  Not just in the fact that it has cannons, canon balls and rifles for the civil war enthusiast, or for kids who just like military things, like my sons, but it is the trees that just capture my attention every time I'm there.  I just can't stop staring at them.  The curly branches like none I've ever seen.

Their age.  I have to ask myself what would these trees say if they could speak?

What a tale they could tell! A honeymoon or marriage proposal might be included among the tales.  My husband and I would actually fit into one of the two of those particular stories!  And now, all of our visits since then....  Historically there are plenty of tales to be passed down.  A horse drawn carriage or guided walking tour is the best way to find out about the rich history of this area.  I highly recommend the carriage tour.  If you are going to experience Charleston and hear some of it's history, it's worth it to do this just one time!

Enjoy some photos from Battery Park, a "must see" if you ever go to Charleston, South Carolina.




No comments: