Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Every Picture Tells a Story

I have been changing the look of my blog a bit the past week.  I'm such a newbie in the blogging world.  I've seen some beautiful and very intricate blogs full of cool and exciting things over the past months.  Each one is so unique with a different title expressing the main thought of  its author. 

It's hard to put a title with a blog that describes "you" in a small amount of words or with one or just a few pictures. I have decided one thing.  Less is more for my blog.  I am trying not to clog up my margins with a lot of things.  I want it to be as simple as possible.

My blog is entitled "Wings of the Spirit"  because this was the name of the first book of poetry I put together myself in 1998.  I took all the poems I'd written since 1982 when I was in high school, and took them to Kinkos for them to put together about 40 copies.  I gave them to friends and family.  I entitled my poetry collection:  "Wings of the Spirit" back then because that is what writing is like for me.

Much of my writing, when it is personal, is like my spirit soaring up to heaven for God's glory.  I want my writing to be pleasing in God's eyes, not just mine.  Many people have encouraged the writer in me in very different ways.  My folks, my husband, close friends, and a dear college professor who told me my Freshman year in college that I'd make a great poet one day if I gave a little more attention to specific things.  He gave great constructive criticism.  He'll never know how much I've hung onto those words over the years.

Initially, I started out with poetry, but this past year I have been drawn more toward writing prose than poetry.  I'm not sure why that is.  I love to write poetry.  I think it's just a different season I'm in right now.  I do know that most of what I write comes quickly when it does, and I never write the same thing twice.  It just never happens.  Those moments come and go and are gone.  It is one reason why I use this blog for writing those things down, so I do not forget them.  I want our boys to be able to look back and have a sort of history of their mom and our family.

A picture says a thousand words.  And every picture tells a story.

I started out my blog with this picture under the title.  It was a photo I took in September of last year, during our first visit to Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens in Gaston County, NC.  It is a photo of some lovely Cosmos growing which was about 3-4 feet tall.  I had to stop on our walk around the gardens and snap a few pics.
I absolutely LOVE this photo.  I didn't even notice at first the bee in the center of the largest flower in the forefront of the photo, a bit hidden by one of the petals, but there. You can see his little head.  You never know what might be hiding in photos you take.

As time has gone on, I've decided the best way for me to describe my blog is "Life is a gift."  That kind of sums up everything for me.  It is my life story.  So it fits. You can read about  my adoption testimony  here or under the adoption link in "what I write about".

I knew at some point I might find another photo that exhibits a bit more that expression "life is a gift".  I was searching through photos last night.  I found this one of my oldest son in 2009 at the age of 9 smelling our sunflowers around the deck.  This one spoke to me. 

Life is a gift.  

We need to embrace those moments God gives us daily celebrate them in our hearts, acknowledging that life is a gift everyday. 

"  Every good and perfect gift comes from God."  James 1:17   

How am I living daily?  How do I show God I am thankful for my daily gift of life, his mercy, and his love?  I need to be purposeful in my living.  I must not take this wonderful God given gift for granted.  Lord please help me not be complacent.

So I changed my photo describing my blog to this photo of my oldest son and the sunflowers.  Sunflowers are my favorite flowers too.  Seeing my son embracing that moment of smelling that flower so sweetly reminds me that God has given me such wonderful gifts.  


I hope you like the photo.