Life is a gift.

Life is a gift.
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;" Psalm 139:14

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Flowers For Ecuador

Everyone can use a pen.

And everyone could use a smile to brighten their day.

My dad has made flowers pens for Ecuador.  I've been making some myself this afternoon.

  
This past Spring, my dad made over a hundred of these pens for the retirement community where he lives and for a Mother's Day luncheon there.  He's given me a couple as well.  I keep one in my car.  Occasionally I still see one of his pens pop up at a nurses desk or a lobby.   My dad who has always been all about "tools" and carpentry, repair work and home improvement has enjoyed making crafts this year.  Going from volunteer work in building houses for Habitat for Humanity to crafts is a big change.  He still loves to use his hands and create, and fix things.   So I had this idea, when I signed on for this trip.  Would he be willing to make some more flower pens for me to take down to Ecuador to share?  He immediately said "yes" and wanted to get started right away.  So I purchased the supplies for him and he got to work.  

Together he and I have made about 50 of these.  Dad has made 30, I've made about 20 more.  As I've been sitting here this afternoon at the dining room table making these I'm praying that the "Mommies" or caregivers of these orphans will smile when they see their gifts from our team especially for them.  The flower pens will be  part of their gifts along with a Spanish devotional and some other little items. I can't wait to see them open their gifts. 

What I would like to share with them too, (if given the opportunity when we hand these out), is this photograph. We've been asked to bring pictures of our family with us to share at the orphanages.
"  This is my dad, Joe.  He has made these flowers for you and hopes they bring a smile to your face."

Now to learn this phrase in Spanish.  Thank you Christie!

"Este es mi padre, Joe. El hizo estas plumas (boligrafos) de flores para usted el espera que le hacen sonreír."

If there is any way I can get a photo of some of the "mommies" with their gifts I will share those photos with my dad so he can see them with the pens.  He'll see the smiles and know they were appreciated.

I would also like to tell these caregivers that they are special in God's eyes and what they are doing every day for the orphans is valuable and wonderful.  No one may see day to day what they do, but God sees and cares.

Flowers for Ecuador.  Just a small tiny thing to say, "Hey, You are special."  And a small way an almost 79 year old man who has always loved "doing things for other people" but who cannot serve in the capacity he  once could, can feel special too by doing something nice for others in a simple way.

An update of what happened with some of these flower pens on my trip....  God gave me such a special moment.
I was able to give these out at an orphanage where I painted for two days.  We painted the boys and girls rooms at this orphanage.  The caregivers or "mommies" were all gathered together after I spoke with the director of the orphanage.  I told her what we as a team wanted to give them as gifts.  We had a women's devotional in Spanish with the flower pen, a hand made bracelet made by someone special in our church and some toiletry items.  I explained that my dad had made the flower pens for them and he has Alzheimers. I did cry.  Our translator, was so patient with me....
 
Being able to give those gifts Dad made with his own hands to these ladies was such a gift to me personally.  I'll never forget it.
Also, one of the caregivers names was "Flora".... how about that!   

No comments: